Discover our Facebook Community by clicking here.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups small mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 5 cups boiling water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Sauté the half onion in half the oil, add the mushrooms and sauté for another 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the boiling water and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- In another pan sauté the remaining onion, adding the garlic after a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer gently until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes, adding a little water and the soy sauce.
- Add the herbs a few minutes before removing the sauce from the heat, then combine the sauce with the rice.
- Cover for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to combine, then serve.
Thanks for reading!